The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) offers straightforward online and offline options to change your phone number for SRD grant after verifying your identity. If you are a SASSA SRD grant holder and lose access to your old phone number for any reason, then this guide will provide you with the complete steps you need to update your contact details.
The active phone number is compulsory for the SRD grant, as you receive all your grant updates and payment date notifications on your registered phone number. If you lose that number, it will cause an interruption in your grant payments as you will not be able to receive the updates on your SASSA grant. So, it is important to inform the SASSA as soon as possible and change your phone number to avoid any delays in your grant payments.
The Reasons You May Need to Update Your Phone Number
There could be multiple reasons that require you to change your phone number, such as:
- You have lost your mobile, or your phone is stolen.
- You have changed your sim card, and your SASSA grant was registered on your previous sim card.
- You made a mistake and provided the incorrect phone number in the SASSA grant application.
- You applied for the grant using someone else’s phone number, and now you don’t have access to this person.
These are the most common reasons, but of course there could be other reasons as well. If any of the above reasons are required to change your phone number, then you must update your contact details in the SASSA portal as soon as possible to avoid missing any notification from SASSA and delay in your grant payments.
How to Change Your SASSA SRD Phone Number
here are different ways to change your SRD phone number, but the most recommended and easiest way is to change it online via the SASSA official website. But as many people cannot do it online or do not have internet access, there are also offline methods available for that. I will explain both methods one by one, and you can follow the one that works best for you.
SASSA Change Phone Number Online Via SASSA Official Website
You can change your SRD grant phone number online via the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) website in a few quick steps:
Step 1: Visit the SASSA Website
to the SASSA update contact details page here: https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/contact
Step 2: Enter Your Details
Enter your 13-digit South African ID number and your application ID (If you don’t have your application ID, read below to find out how to find it).
Step 3: Submit the Form
Now, submit the form. Please double-check your details before submitting the form to make sure you provided the correct details.
Step 4: Verify Your Email and New Phone Number
Next, you will be redirected to another form and asked to verify your email address. Enter the email address used to register for the SRD grant and your new phone number. Then click the “submit” button.
Step 5: Provide Reason for Change
Now, you will be prompted to provide the reason to change the phone number. Select the reason for which you want to change the number. You will need to choose from the following options:
- Cell phone lost or stolen
- Used someone else’s phone number to apply, and now you don’t have access to that person
- Any other reason why you don’t have access to the mobile number you applied with.
Step 6: Verify Your New Cell Phone Number
After providing the reason, you will receive an OTP on your new mobile number. Provide the OTP code on the website and click submit.
Once your phone number is updated, you will receive a notification from SASSA, and all future SRD grant updates will be sent to your new phone number.
Change Your SASSA Phone Number Without Internet Access
To change your SRD grant phone number offline, you need to directly contact the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). You can do this through the following two channels:
1. Contact SASSA call center
You can call the SASSA call center at 0800 60 10 11 and ask the agent to update your contact details. They will verify your identity, and after the verification they will update your phone number.
2. Visit your nearest SASSA office
You can find your nearest SASSA office and visit the office in person. You must carry your identity documents, as SASSA representatives may ask you to provide the documents for verification. The staff will change your phone number once your identity is verified.
Please keep in mind that both methods can be time-consuming. As for the call center calling method, you will have to wait for longer, as there are a lot of people calling with queries, and agents are often busy.
Visiting the SASSA office is also a time taking process as there are always long queues, and you will have to wait for your turn.
How to Change Your SASSA Grant Phone Number Without Application ID
If you have lost your application ID, you can easily retrieve it from the SASSA SRD website. The application ID is the 6-digit code that is assigned to your SRD grant application at the time of applying and used to identify your application. Follow the below steps to get your application ID:
- Visit the SASSA SRD website status check page at https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status.
- Provide your 13 digit South African ID number without spaces and your old cellphone number (the number you used at the time of applying)
- Click the “submit” button. Your 6 digit application ID will be shown in the first line.
Now note down your application ID and continue the above process to update your contact details.
Important Things to Keep in Mind When Updating Your SRD Contact Details
Please keep in mind the following while updating your phone number:
- If you encounter glitches on the website, be patient and try submitting again later. Technical issues may temporarily prevent the form from going through. Keep trying if things get tough – wait for a while and attempt to submit again.
- Double-check your new phone number to make sure it’s correct before submitting it.
- Keep your application ID safe for future use.
- State the clear and true reason to SASSA for changing your phone number. If you give them any incorrect information, they can terminate your grant, as SASSA takes fraud very seriously.
- If you have chosen to be paid via cardless ATM withdrawal, then you must ensure that your phone number is RICA-registered. You can only withdraw your payment if your phone number has gone through the RICA process, as PINs are sent to the registered phone number.
- Please keep in mind that you can submit only one request to update your contact details in 24 hours.
Note: If you lost your SRD grant phone number, which was registered in your name, you can request a new SIM card with the same phone number using your ID card. In this scenario, you won’t need to change your phone number for the SRD grant.
By now, you understand how to change your SRD grant phone number with or without an application ID through SASSA’s online facilities or direct support channels. Remember, always keep your personal identification information secure after the change, and do not share confidential grant details with unauthorized people. You can continue receiving uninterrupted SRD grant communications with your new phone number. If you face any more problems, contact SASSA as soon as possible.