Best Teaching Courses in South Africa: Part-time, Distance, and Full-time for 2023: On this page, you will find the best teaching courses offered by Colleges and Universities in South Africa. The courses are categorised by levels, such as: undergraduate teaching courses (Degrees and Diplomas), as well as postgraduate teaching courses (Honours, Masters and Postdoc).
Teaching Career in South Africa
A career in teaching is still the most appealing for many South Africans. This is because teaching jobs are not the most rear jobs to find as compared to other careers. Some graduates from other career fields such as accounting, psychology, sociology, geography and more, they at times start as teachers while they are still trying to get the jobs they studied. The Department of Education allows any person with a bachelor’s degree to become a teacher, as long as they complete a one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). After that, they will need to register with the South African Council for Educators (SACE).
South Africa has more than 25 000 public schools, and it employs over 400 000 teachers in the public service.
Teachers on REQV 13 earn the least, earning between the minimum amount of R210 000 and up to R465 000. Qualified teachers, typically those with a four year degree and REQV 14, earn between a minimum of R278 000 and up to R618 000 (IOL).
Where to enroll for Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in SA
There are plenty of places where you can apply for your Postgraduate Certificate in Education in South Africa in order to become a teacher:— Advertisement —
- Rhodes University PGCE – Western Cape
- Wits University PGCE– Johannesburg, Gauteng
- University of Pretoria PGCE – Pretoria, Gauteng
- University of Cape Town PGCE – Cape Town
- Stadio PGCE – Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Central University of Technology, Free State PGCE – Free State
- North West University PGCE – North West
- University of South Africa PGCE – All over South Africa
- SPU PGCE – Northern Cape
Various learning styles of studying Teaching in South Africa
Various learning styles offered by Colleges and Universities are: part-time, full-time, distance learning, and online.
Part-time Teaching Courses in South Africa
- University of Johannesburg part-time online teaching course
- Edutel Higher Education – Grade R Teaching Part-time Course
Distance Learning Teaching Courses in South Africa
- Varsity College: Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education – Distance (Online)
- Unisa Teaching Courses:
Where to Study Full-time Teaching Courses in South Africa
Places to study for Undergraduate Teaching Courses full-time
Below are the best places to study your undergraduate teaching course in South Africa full-time:
- Rosebank College Teaching Courses:
- Wits Undergraduate Teaching Courses:
Postgraduate Teaching Courses
Online Teaching Courses in South Africa
- University of Johannesburg online Teaching Course
- IIE Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching – Distance (Online)
- IIE Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education – Distance (Online)
APS Score Requirements to study Teaching
APS scores for teaching and education studies vary significantly based on a set of requirements for a college or university. therefore, there is no a specific universal APS score required to study teaching. Each university or college will have its own APS score requirements. For example, the University of Johannesburg’s APS score for teaching ranges from 26 to 27.