Location: Stellenbosch, Western Cape, ZA
Company: Capitec Bank Ltd
Join Us in Becoming the Best Bank in the World!
We appoint people for their potential and continuously look for talented, driven individuals to help us innovate and evolve the banking industry. That’s why we focus on finding the right people for the right jobs. We love what we do – it takes a great team, commitment, and dedication to build a brand that we are proud of and that our clients trust. We’re a bank, but we’re more than that too. We believe that banking is about people and that there’s a simpler way to bank, and that by helping our clients manage their financial lives better, we enable them to live better.
At Capitec, we offer our best by being a CEO in every situation – we always put the Client first, act with Energy and take Ownership. And to support people in being their best, Our Employee Value Proposition offers every member of our team value by encouraging their involvement in our organization, creating cohesive teams, and providing growth opportunities as well as employee benefits and savings. We make it a priority to ensure that each Capitec person feels known and most importantly valued.
- To assist in building and delivering the AI strategy to ensure Capitec is able to compete in a fast changing landscape. Data science will be a key strategic differentiator in the future.
- Data scientists will help automate and improve processes, create new products and services and assist with improved decision making based on data.
- DS 1-2 will work under close supervision to ensure best practices are followed.
- DS 3-4 are expected to be able to co-ordinate and lead other data scientists to ensure successful starting trajectories of projects. Also expected to be able to present at required formal committees within the bank (e.g. MTSC, ECM, CCM, TAF, Data Steerco) to drive project delivery.
Proven experience in:
- 2+ years of experience in building machine learning models in Python/R
- Business analysis and requirements gathering
- Reproducible coding experience and working with source control tools e.g. Git, Bitbucket
- Experience in deploying models into production
- Spark, Hadoop or similar big data coding experience
- Working in remote environments, e.g. Docker, Linux
- Working in cloud environments, e.g. Azure, AWS
- Honours Degree in Data Science or Mathematics
Qualifications (Ideal or Preferred)
- Doctoral Degree in Data Science or Mathematics
Must have detailed knowledge of:
- Solution and experimental design for model development
- Machine learning development and underlying theory and assumptions of techniques.
- Predictive modelling techniques (statistical and machine learning) and deployment
- Source control systems e.g. Git, Bitbucket, or Sourcetree
- Relational database technologies
- Data Science lifecycle and applicable skills within
- Data analysis
- Solution and experimental design
- Machine learning model architecture (technical design and implementation processes)
- Specialist in one or more specific machine learning competencies, e.g. NLP, Deep Learning etc.
Solid understanding of:
- Underlying theory and application of machine learning models, must be able to understand underlying principles and theory and be able to teach others.
- Best practices for data science
- Ethical AI design principles
- Capitec Data Science lifecycle
- Capitec DPLC
- Numerical Reasoning skills
- Attention to Detail
- Communications Skills
- Computer Literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook)
- Problem solving skills
- Analytical Skills
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Applying Expertise and Technology
- Learning and Researching
- Presenting and Communicating Information
- Writing and Reporting
- Creating and Innovating
Conditions of Employment
- Clear criminal and credit record